If you have ever vacationed at a hotel that had a tropical paradise environment around their swimming pool, you may have started thinking about how your pool landscaping pales in comparison and wondered if you could recreate that for your home. The good news is that there are many plants, shrubs, trees, and flowers that you could include in your pool landscaping, but there are some things to consider before you dive right in – pun intended!
- DO consider the climate where you live unless you relish the idea of buying new plants every year because many that you have chosen don’t survive the colder temperatures.
- DO consider that a hotel has the labor force to maintain even the most finicky pool landscaping, whereas you might not have the time or the interest in doing so.
- DON’T use pool landscaping plants that are fruit-bearing if that fruit can easily fall into your pool or leave a mess on your patio.
- DON’T plant flowers too close to where your family will be swimming or relaxing so that you do not get excessive visits from bees. Also, DO pay attention to which plants are known to attract certain insects or other pests.
- DON’T choose plants that are challenging to care for because they have thorns or grow so quickly that you are spending all your time pruning them and taking dead leaves away.
- DO choose pool landscaping that provides a nice fragrance or has another benefit, such as aloe, which can be used when you get too much sun.
- DON’T plant something that has an aggressive root system too close to your pool or pool equipment, or that could put your patio or walkways in danger of being damaged.
- DO add color, varying shades of green, and different height profiles for a more pleasing result.
If you would like some assistance with your pool landscaping, give us a call at Lake Norman Signature Pools & Patios. We can craft your design plan to incorporate those features that will give you the peaceful and “vacation” feel that you are looking for without you having to give up all your vacations and weekends to keep it looking nice. From design to installation, we take care of your pool landscaping so you can feel like you are at a resort right in your backyard.