Swimming pool construction is a big job and there are a few things you should know before deciding to have one built in your backyard. Depending on the type of pool you choose to have installed, and the features and budget you are working with, there are several basic steps involved from planning to completion.
- Project Design. The first step involved in any swimming pool construction project is design. In order to determine the outcome you are trying to achieve, you will meet with a designer to discuss your budget, the space you have available, your personal design tastes, and overall landscape.
- Find the Right Builder. Take your time and find the builder that has the right qualifications, experience and knowledge to build the type of pool you have chosen. Do your research and make sure the builder you choose has a good reputation and is licensed and insured. Be sure to get several bids for the swimming pool construction project you are trying to achieve.
- Permits. Before construction can begin, your contractor will need to obtain the proper permits to ensure that your plans comply with all state and local codes.
- Excavation and Construction. Your project will start with removal of the soil and rocks and then the steel work, plumbing and electrical work will be completed. Depending on the type of pool you have chosen, the next step will be the installation of concrete, fiberglass, or a vinyl shell.
- Decking and Landscaping. Once the base of the pool has been completed, the surrounding decking and landscaping can be started. Poured or textured concrete is the most popular option because it requires little maintenance. Concrete or natural stone pavers are also available. Depending on how elaborate you would like your project to be, this step can take some time.
- Inspection and Clean-Up. Once the swimming pool construction is completed, the area will need to be cleaned up and an inspection done. Depending on the type of pool you have chosen, a surfacing material may need to be applied and then acid washed.
- Pool Filled With Water. The final step is to finally fill your new swimming pool with water.
Now that you understand the basic steps to building a swimming pool, you are one step closer to making your dream a reality. If you would like more information, please call us at Lake Norman Signature Pools & Patios today!